Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day Three Thursday 23 July

We got up early and were starting our day when Donna told me she had not slept well due to hearing a cat fight or something during the night. Later when I stepped out of the RV you could tell that a Dove in the cedar tree right at the door drew its last breath and became a meal for something!! Well Dale & Donna were up early and we left at 7:30AM. Everyone is ready to get to South Fork, CO. I was real happy with the way our RV was doing we were having no trouble at all keeping up with Dale and his Diesel Pusher, I had been concerned that it would be hard to keep up on the hills but we were doing OK. We got a great plus when about 45 min out we passed into Mountain time zone and gained an hour that made us all feel better knowing we would make South Fork today. We got to Walsenburg, CO and stopped for a break this is a town on I25 and at the bottom of the Mtn pass we had to go over 9,350 Ft. I was real nerves about making it over the top pulling the Dodge and had just about decided to unhook and have Donna follow me over the 8 miles to the top. As we took off for the top I decided it would go and we followed Dale up, at about 8300FT Dale started slowing down and I let off to stay behind him but when I did the RV would not pic back up so we were losing power, I shifted down and it did no good so I was shifting back to drive and went to neutral and then back to drive, well that ended it all we just died right on the road at 8450FT. I called Dale on the radio and told him and he pulled over right quick. I got out of sorts for a few short minutes but gained control pretty fast.(I am getting better with that lose of control thing). I was able to get it started and pulled up and over behind Dale off the road. It would start but just not have any power to move, Dale came back and I unhooked the Dodge as Dale looked things over. We crawled all under it and decided that maybe it was the fuel filter we found the filter but were just not sure as to the cause of the problem. Donna was going through the manuals (that are worthless) to see if she could find anything. As all this was taking place the weather was getting colder and it started to rain and hail. All through the time we were down I would try to start it on an off, well ti started and this time the RPM's stayed up like they should and I was able to accelerate with out it missing. We sat for a few minutes and I decided that I would head up the road to the next turn off and if it was running OK just keep going and I would call and Donna would follow me up. I took off and the RV never missed a beat it ran perfectly and over the pass and on into Alamosa to the Wal-Mart. We got into town and followed the GPS to wal-mart, only the last turn it said right and it should have said left. Donna and I wondered through the back streets winding out way back as Dale and Donna found a place to park and waited on us. We started the generator for cooper to have air and headed in for grocery's.
We came out all happy with our wal-mart fix and when we go to the RV the generator was off well I had for got that at high altitude you have to change a setting so I did. We went to eat lunch at a Mexican restaurant and then back too the RV's to head to South Fork after we gassed up. I hooked the Dodge back up and we were off, one hour left. We got to the park and were getting set up when we found out that the park had no water but it would be fixed the next day. We got settled in and down finally and that was that day!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment