Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 5 25 July Surprises and Elevation












This morning we got started at about 8:00AM and at 8,145ft in elevation took off to a small ghost town Summitville,CO an old GOLD mining town. The trip to the town was just out of sight with beauty, the road wound up the most beautiful mountain valley. There were places that you could get right down to a winding stream and camp,we saw quite a few campers. The trip to Summitville was just spectacular and we thought could not be bettered. We arrived at Summitville and I got out my metal detectors for Dale and I to do some detecting around the old buildings. We got up the small hill to the buildings and started to pick up nails it seemed that the place was just covered in nails and junk, along with biting fly's and mosquitoes, they were killers just all over us. We were detecting for a while and I struck a signal not much better than any other but deeper so I was bound and determined to find what ever it was. I dug 6-8" and kept loosing the signal but just kept digging and siffing until I hit something with my digger and when I got it out of the hole I started to just shake I could not believe that I had what looked like a rather large piece of gold!!!! I went over to Dale who was hard at it and held out my hand to show him, I was almost out of breath with excitement. Dale looked at it and said do you think it is gold I said that I was not sure but it looked like it was. We dug around for a while longer thew took the piece down to the Jeep to show the Donnas. We were all pretty excited and just not sure it was real gold. We headed on up the road when I spotted a guy sitting in the stream gold panning, I told Dale to stop and I would walk down and just ask the guy he surly new what it was. Well Dale and I walked down the hill and the guy came across the stream to talk to us. I showed him the chunk and his eyes almost popped out even with him trying to show no emotion. He took a knife from dale and scratched the chunk and said it the real thing you have a nice piece of GOLD. We talked a few minutes and the back up the hill to the Jeep.(Did I mention that at this time we were at about 10,000FT elevation and were having quite the time breathing so the hill clime back to the Jeep about killed us) We told the Donnas what he said and all started speculating on how much the chunk weighed. We headed up the road again enjoying the scenery and everything. We came to this road that lead up to the top of the mountain and decided to give it a try. We got to the top at 12,603FT what a sight it was awesome. We were going to eat lunch but it started to sleet and boy did it come down. We made our way back to the main road and on towards Del Norte a town on HWY160 east of South Fork. Dales brother had an airplane hanger at the airport in this town. The rest of the drive was as pretty as the first. We got to the airport and sat in the Jeep and ate lunch because the sleet had turned to rain. After lunch we drove some of the back roads to the north of Del Norte, some very pretty areas but just hills and planes land, high desert. We completed a large circle drive and then back to HWY 160 and west to South Fork and home. When we got back Donna and I decided that we would set up the screen tent so we could sit out side in the evenings without the mosquito's. We sat around just pondering the value of our find and going over the beautiful sights was saw. We ate dinner and I went back outside for something and I saw a beautiful rainbow. I got Donna and showed her. She said that was the lucky rainbow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment